Saturday, September 01, 2007

School germs....

I had such good intentions this week about blogging everyday. But what I wasn't considering was the fact that Jacob went back to school last week, which meant that this week I have had a cold from his sharing of the new school germs.

UGH, but I am on the mend now and feeling MUCH better than I have been for the last couple of days. I even got to create last night!! So good for the body and soul...that creating...I think that it works as good as chicken soup any day!

So, now the debate is...do I create the hard-thinking, long-winded post that I have been planning or one of my regular light posts? Not too sure if I have had enough coffee or my brain is clear enough of the cold fog to do the more thought provoking post, but I may just give it a shot here....

The other night I started reading the book, Living the Creative Life, that I talked about in my previous post. (BTW, I still haven't made it too far into it, but I am still giving it 2 thumbs up so far!) I was reading the intro and was shocked to see that the author is from my hometown of Midland, TX so I immediately got onto her blog and sent her a comment. Immediately after, I had a huge feeling of regret at doing so. Not because of anything that she did, but because I knew that she would probably visit my blog.

Now I am very secure in what I do/create, but I had this huge sense of inadequacy when compared to the artist's that she is used to looking at. I feel that there are all different levels/types of artists and what she is used to looking at are the artsy artists. I am definitely NOT an artsy artist. I admire them a GREAT deal and am always trying to find ways to develop that side of my artistic ability because I REALLY admire that ability, but it takes a LOT of work for me and at this point in my life, if I want to create, it tends to stay a bit more simplistic and I am okay with that.

So that led my train of thought...why was I feeling so many insecurities that this lady may visit my blog? There's no good reason. Finding creativity is a process that every artist has to go through whatever your level of skill.

When I first started this blog, it was a means to boost my creativity and still is. I had started out doing creative prompts and somewhere along the way (I am thinking about the time that I got pregnant and my mojo fled) they stopped. I am debating starting those up again, but right now am using the product challenges as my creative prompts for myself. So the point of all this rambling? NO IDEA! LOL! But it seemed like something that I needed to share. Do you have any thoughts on the subject? If so, I would love to hear them!!

So, now on to what we all love...the sharing of art. These are my creations from yesterday...

This first layout is a layout of all my siblings (minus David whom I don't have any photos like this :( )getting baby snuggles from Kat. This is using one of the new Daisy D's line and I just love this group of products!!! Exactly my style!!!


This layout is using a couple of photos of Kat that I had printed for another project that I didn't end up using. I really like the contrast of the b&w photos with the colors of these Cosmo Cricket Dutch Girl papers so I used them for this. Both photos are taken from right around her 2 month old mark. I love that close-up head shot because she looks more like my baby photos there and everyone says that she looks like Jacob who looks like Ben... so I grasp at any little thing that points at one of these kids being mine (despite the fact that I actually gave birth to them). LOL!

This final project is a card using this week's CPS sketch. I was so excited to see that two of my favorite sites (Create My Keepsake and CPS) teamed up so I just had to do the sketch (not that that is ever a hardship...BTW, Kara, help! How do you phrase that so that there are not two that's in the sentence???) More Cosmo Cricket Dutch Girl line and WRMK ribbons:


That's it for today! I hope that you all are finding some time to create this weekend.
smiles,
christi

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a joy to everyone who reads it - that's why we read it. If you think your creativity is inadequate, well, those of us who visit do so to see the beauty that you create so you might get some dissension from us there.

If you are creating for yourself, then what you create is always adequate no matter how simple or uninspired it might be perceived by others. (That comment is more for myself since I cannot even draw a stick figure without making it look like Quasimodo.)

Keep up the terrific art that you do. You do incredible things.

Christi said...

awww, Dan, thank you! :D

Andrea, said...

Great card, love those papers

Anonymous said...

Christi, I love your blog and I think you're incredibly talented and artistic! Your style is sooo you, I can see a layout and know it's yours! I love your style and wish I could do that shabby french look as well as you can!
I love those layouts too, awesome:)

Kari said...

Oh, dear Christi...
Please don't be so hard on yourself. You are incredibly artistic, talented and inspired individual. You are such a kind creative spirit. There is absolutely NOTHING to feel inadequate about. I agree with everything that daniel said above. Your art comes from your heart and always rings true. Keep up the fabulous work. Hugs to you!!!
Kari

Alison Bryant said...

I have to agree with Dan the man. As long as I've known you, I've always admired your talent. Visiting your blog is always inspirational to me. My only problem with it is that when I read it, I want to drop everything right then and go work on projects!

Your thoughts today somewhat remind me of a process I've been going through the last year or two. Growing up, my sister, Melissa, was always the "artsy one," and I thought my talents were in very different areas. I've only recently given myself "permission" to have my own style and please myself with my new creative outlets. Sorry to hijack your blog, but you're good at sparking responses! =) Have a great weekend.

Carolyn said...

STOP!! (like that, LOL) Throw that doubt right out the window, now!

I enjoy visiting your blog, and what you take the time to share with us in internet land. Never doubt your creative work, just because it isn't the style we love to see from others, doesn't make it any less, that's why we go to barnes and nobles and find books to curb our desires to seek the artsy side of creating. If we didn't need to do this, what fun would it be to go to b & n and search for fun artsy books. I ask you? LOL And, why I will tell you please no more doubt, you are gifted and if you need any kind of reassurances about that, just contact me and I will help you with ending that doubt.

jo said...

Christi!!! Give yourself a slap woman! I love reading your blog and seeing your new creations. Your art is fab, that's why you've been chosen for DTs! All art is different and appeals to different people, the world would be a very boring place if everyone created the same.Keep blogging and keep doing what you do.
*Jo steps off her high horse*LOL

Theresa said...

Ha, must have been something in the air on Saturday for thoughtful posts!!
Christi, your's was the first blog I regularly checked out, I loved your work in mags before I "knew" you at CC or here.
You create for the right reasons, and you share for the right reasons - cos you love what you do. And I bow to your art inspiration creativity!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails