Monday, November 24, 2008

12 Days of Christmas Creating- Day 9- Nine Apples

If you have been reading my blog for a year or more, then you have probably heard about this gift before as it is one of my favorites to put together during the holiday season. This basket is a great gift idea for neighbors, co-workers, or anyone that you need to do "something" for, but it doesn't need to be extravagant. I give you the Apple Caramel basket...

This is the absolute easiest, cheapest, and actually healthiest gift that you can put together this holiday season. It starts simply with a can of sweetened condensed milk (YES! the fat-free works too and tastes just as good!!!)


Peel all the labels off your can and immerse it in a pot of boiling water. You will leave it there for 3 hours while it boils. Check it periodically to make sure that your water hasn't evaporated to the point of exposing the can and re-fill with water as needed. That is literally all there is to making this caramel dip. Can it be any easier?!?! I have done this now for 5 years and have never had ANY issues with it. Online, you will read warnings about the cans exploding, but I have never had that happen, nor have I heard of anyone else actually having that issue. Just be careful...

...oh and don't open the can as soon as they are done because your caramel will shoot out of the can as you puncture it (not that I have known anyone to be that anxious to get to their caramel...hehe!) Here is a photo of our caramel from last night...you know, we had to try a can, just to make sure that it turned out okay!

Now you just need to decorate your can (3"x12" strip to go around the can), create your gift tag (mine measure 2"x4"), fill your gift basket with apples and you have a gift ready to give.

Here is what I put on the inside of my gift tags:
Apple Dip Instructions
To enjoy this apple dip, simply empty contents of the can into a bowl and heat in the microwave. Slice the apples and you have a “somewhat” healthy, tummy-warming snack for the holiday season.
When your caramel is gone and you need more, you can simply re-create it by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk (non-fat works too) in water (completely cover the can) for 3 hours.




Another great idea for these cans, is to have a basket of them already decorated and tagged by your front door. That way when unexpected guests drop by with food or deliveries, you can send them home with their own little can of caramel.

Supplies used:
*all paper goods are K&Company's Christmas line
*Bazzill Kraft
*wire mini-shopping basket from Hobby Lobby
*jute string

5 comments:

Rita said...

I remember you mentioning this idea before and I loved it. Haven't tried it, but I want to. It sounds absolutely easy -- and YUMMY!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

OMG. Another fabulous day. I'll do this for sure. ....for me....my mouth is watering already.

Amy said...

You are killing me with all these awesome ideas...I am so trying this one! YUM!

Lisa F said...

I never knew you could do that - I'm going to have to try it! I LOVE all these ideas you keep showing!

Peggy said...

I am seeing this for the first time and I love it!!
Thanks for sharing!
matternu@aol.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails