Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thoughts from Thursday...

I am running a bit late today and I have a feeling that this is going to be a long-winded post so hopefully, I have time to get it all on here before my guys show up and pull me away from the computer.

Today is the final day of the LOAD (layout a day) challenge. I am so excited to be able to say that I was successful with this. 31 layouts in 31 days (+ 15 cards and 5 altered projects.) It's been an incredible challenge and it has definitely pushed me to do some layouts and find the time to create when I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

So on to the layouts. This is yesterday's layout. Photos of me and my parents. Last night when I was working on this, I got DH involved trying to figure out a title for it. It is hard to do a layout from your life where it's about you, but not necessarily your memories (since obviously, I don't have any recollection of this time.) I am sure that my mom wouldn't have had any issue naming it. So Ben and I sat around playing with fun names for this layout last night. Some of the suggested titles included: My Baby Parents (they were really young when they had me and look even younger than they actually were in that photo), the 3 of Us, and It's All About Me.

As you can see from the layout, the title that won was Life Before Brothers. This means absolutely nothing bad against my younger, twin brothers. They are actually both great guys. The title just seemed to work that's all. No, really I mean it. :D I love you, guys!!!

Are you wondering where those gorgeous papers came from? That is the new Chelsea's Place line from Making Memories that you can find at Michael's. Isn't it lush?!? I have a feeling that you are going to be seeing quite a few projects made with it around here. BTW, that dandelion tag was made using one of my gorgeous new stamps from Unity Stamp Co. That one is from the Just Wish stamp set. It is stamped in brown onto a shipping tag which has been sprayed with Glimmer Mist in Vintage Pink and Candy Apple Red.
************************************
This is today's layout and this layout tells a bit about why today is much more special than the fact that it's the last day of the LOAD project. Today is extra-special because it is Ben's last day as a squadron commander. Officially, he is not off the hook as the commander until the squadron goes away (part of BRAC) while he is in Iraq, but today is his actual last day on the job. Being a squadron commander is EXTREMELY stressful and most officers only do it once, maybe twice. This is Ben's third squadron. He has been a squadron commander for 1,697 days, since June 10, 2003. It's been hard and there have been days when neither one of us thought he would make it, but he has and I am so proud of him.
smiles,
Christi

13 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What lovely and thooughtful layouts today.
Congratulations on completing your challenge.
Alison

Anonymous said...

We do actually feel loved...just by other people! (just kidding - great layouts)
Congratulations to Ben for surviving the ordeal.

Alison Bryant said...

On Ben's layout...the guy on the left passing the baton--was he the previous squadron cmdr.? If so, is he smiling big 'cause he's finished, and Ben's not smiling because he does have a clue what he's getting into? =)

Christi said...

No, actually the guy on the left is Ben's commander and he's smiling because it's a staged photo. LOL! When you go to these ceremonies, you have to laugh because at this point, everything stops while they look at the camera and pose. Ben just doesn't pose well...he's too serious for that. LOL!!! His commander also happens to be a really nice guy that smiles a lot too. smiles...

Carolyn said...

Love the first layout, and I think the title was perfect, because it was a true fact at the time. But seeing "brother #1" comment in here, is funny to see, can't wait to see "brother #2" to show up.... LOL

kudo's to Ben! He has got to be proud to have accomplished & survived this position, it couldn't have been easy to do this one for 3 times. wow!

Carolyn said...

forgot to say there's a surprise on my blog for you....amy & I have been busy. LOL

Theresa said...

Love the first LO, and gotta laugh over brother #1 "label"!
Congrats to Ben (and, goodness knows, yourself!!) for getting through the "commandership". Does this mean you get a bit of hubby time whilst he processes? I hope so. And don't you just love those staged photos, where everything goes quiet, and it seems like forever you are standing there with a goofy grin on your face!! Great LO!

Amy said...

Love the layouts Christi and I hope Ben's able to take some time off before he has to deploy...:-)if there wasn't 6 inches of snow on the ground right now I'd be on my way to Mike's

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see "brother #2" to show up

ahhh!! The pressure. I haven't had enough sleep this week to be witty and charming like brother #1! ahh!

(continuously bowing to brother #1)I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Jeanne said...

Congratulations on completing the LOAD challenge. This was quite an accomplishment and I am sure you are proud.

Nancy said...

congrats on finishing the challenge, I was terrible I signed up but did not finish. bad me.

your layout is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow Christie, you absolutely rocked the LOAD challenge, great job! You are an inspiration, I could NEVER do that, lol! Maybe a card a day, but it takes ALOT to make a layout a day, you're my hero!

And I'm lmbo at Ben's staged smile, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about;)

Jayne said...

Congrats on getting all those LO's done...I too signed up, but only got to 7 LOL...better that zero I guess LOL.

Love both LO's ... it's great that you got hubbys input!!! Love the titles you were throwing around...the one you chose seems perfect for the LO.

Related Posts with Thumbnails